As reclamation districts were formed under the above noted laws, they were given numbers sequentially. As one of the first reclamation districts formed in 1861, Grand Island was given the number Reclamation District No. 3. The area protected by Reclamation District No. 3 has remained the same for essentially the entire time of its existence. As described in Division of Water Resources, (currently known as Department of Water Resources) Bulletin No. 37, which was published in 1930, the Reclamation District is described as protecting 17,100 gross acres, with a net protected area of 16,245 acres.